The technology of online learning is constantly evolving. Not only is the technology of content presentation becoming more complex, but the delivery, integration, grade syncing, and expanding learning management system markets all add the puzzle. As a developer of online courses, this course seeks to give you the vocabulary and tools you need to ask the right questions and understand the fundamental concepts of technology in online learning. It reviews the key software and hardware options available, and it covers best practices in using technology.
This course was developed by MindEdge's National Institute of Online Learning (NIOL), which was founded in 2012 with the goal to improve the quality and effectiveness of online learning, especially for adult learners, by promoting best practices and innovation in the field.
- Discuss the significance of technology in enabling online learning
- Define basic information technology (IT) terms and concepts as they apply to creating, delivering, and hosting online learning
- Explain how a learning management system (LMS) functions and how it enables online learning
- Outline the key issues (bandwidth, browser and plug-in compatibility, etc.) involved in delivering online learning over the Internet
- Discuss the use of video in online learning
- Explore the key technology issues in developing and delivering online learning to mobile devices (m-learning)
- Explain the methods used for integrating online learning into learning platforms, including SCORM, LTI, and Tin Can API
- Describe the common IT challenges involved in online learning
- Outline key questions about technology and online learning that organizations should ask
Estimated length: 5 hours
Access time: 90 days
IACET CEUs: 0.5 (Contact Hours: 5 hours)HRCI Credits: 5 (Type: General)SHRM PDCs: 5